Friday, May 28, 2010

Strolling on the River

There is a Memorial Weekend River Festival going on in Savannah, so we took a walk down River Street this afternoon to see what it was all about. Shops line one side of River Street and as I walked down the shop side of the street, an adorable Boston Terrier sitting in a baby stroller caught my eye. Her owners brought her along for their holiday. After they graciously allowed me to take some photos of their dog, Cracker, I got several pretty good ones, including a couple of close ups, but I had to include the one where she can be seen in her stroller. I guess I need to prove that I am not the only one who goes to all lengths for their dog. I'm glad they had a stroller for her, though. She was looking a little tired to me.

















Cracker, as you can tell, surely lives the good life. I converted her photos to black and white because the vivid color in the background distracted from her own high contrast black and white coloring.

Squirt lives the good life too, and I hope he is having a good weekend.

We crossed River Street and walked back to our hotel in front of all the vendors’ booths and entertainers. I’m not sure whether this band of drummers was a nuclear family or not, but I think it is entirely possible that they are at least related. They were playing We Are The World while I was watching and listening to them perform; and they did a great job of it. Many of the drums were not ordinary drums, but appeared to be merely barrels adapted to drums. I was particularly caught up in this young girl’s performance. She didn’t miss a beat. I wish my camera could tell you how charming she really was.

















My last stop was at the booth of Heather’s Treasures. It was a real delight to meet Heather and chat with her for a while. Her work is perfection and she had everything from soup to nuts in the way of smocking and heirloom sewing. When I say this I mean every word - her work included the entire range from monogrammed hand towels to smocked dresses (casual to dressy), to elaborate Christening gowns. And I am also sincere when I say that her work was exquisitely executed and done in the very best of taste. Heather sells out of a shop on River Street as well as ships all over the world. Her website is www. heatherstreasures.biz. I plan to check it out.

4 comments:

Jan M said...

Weekend getaways are always heavenly, but even moreso when we also get to enjoy things special to our heart -- sweet dogs and exquisite stitching!
Will you make it to Paula's for a meal? It's fun to go, but there are many other delightful restaurants and spots in Savannah,too. It is a lovely city. Not sure of your schedule, but I enjoy Beaufort, SC as a quick day trip from Savannah.

Carol Harris said...

We did go to Paula Deen's restaurant tonight. Last night we went to Sapphire Grill, which was very good. Won't make it to Beaufort this time, as the group we are with want to go to Hilton Head tomorrow. This was my first trip to Savannah, but I think it is beautiful and plan to return sometime. Maybe I'll get to Beaufort next time.

Unknown said...

Carol
what a delightful trip and what a find in heather's creations!!! Such beautiful work. Hope you are relaxed and rejuvenated!!!

Laurie said...

Wish I could have a weekend getaway like that - what fun! Love the dog pics!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop