Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Road Trip

MH and I arrived in Savannah, GA this afternoon to enjoy a nice holiday weekend. I have looked forward to this for several months but had no idea how badly I'd need the reprieve when the time came. I managed to get most of the packing done while Squirt was out chasing rabbits, his early morning ritual. When he came back inside and saw the suitcases, he was not a happy boy. It kills me to see him so upset but he lives in the lap of luxury while we are gone (just like he does when we are at home). We board him at a fine pet hotel called Petcetera and we always book far enough in advance for him to have the Grandmother Suite. He always gets a new toy on arrival and we leave instructions to let him have one of those cute decorated dog cookies every day. Petcetera is connected to Dr. White's office so he has immediate medical attention should he need it. What more could a dog want?

We drove through Murfreesboro just after a thunderstorm and noticed not one rainbow, but two. I don't ever remember seeing a double rainbow before. Had my camera not been stowed so far back in the vehicle, I would have taken a picture. We spent the night in Chattanooga before heading out again this morning. Maybe you've guessed by now that MH doesn't fly. He is miserable every second he is in an airplane so we always drive. It is sort of nice, though. We stop and antique along the way and since I am able to read in the car, I make good use of the time on the road. Got my new book started and I can tell it is going to be a good one. I plan to finish My Name is Mary Sutter before returning home, so I'll have more to say about it next week. The weather in Savannah is beautiful and we have a room overlooking the Savannah River. I hope to get some good photos tomorrow.

I titled this post The Road Trip because it reminds me of another book I plan to read. I've heard that Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure, The True Story of a Great American Road Trip, is well worth the read. It could move to 2nd position on my list.

2 comments:

Sewbusymor said...

Have a wonderful weekend Carol!! Wish I could plan the same. Grew up on the shore! Many many holidays remembered. Happy day...Karin

Carol Harris said...

Thanks. This is my first trip to Savannah and I'm real excited about it. You have a wonderful weekend, too. - Carol

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop