Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Potential Duel

Do you remember the poem by Eugene Field called The Duel? If not, I think you never get too old to enjoy it and it can easily be found with a Google search. This was one of my childhood favorites. It even inspired a couple of garments that I did for Creative Needle in the July/August 2003 issue. I named the garments Cali and Gino for fairly obvious reasons. Cali was the girl version that featured a calico cat and Gino was the boy outfit with a gingham dog on the shirt. Cali even made the cover of that issue. Today I saw something that made me think of the poem (and the garments) again. We started our day at Savannah’s Farmer’s Market. Of course, I always notice dogs because I love them and love photographing them. This adorable little Westie had his eye on something and I wasn’t able to get his attention. Then I saw the something. Had that little dude not been on a leash, I think we could have had a bonafide duel in Savannah this morning. As we traveled around the city in a horse drawn carriage later in the day, I saw the strip of property that was the site of the Gentlemens’ Duels in the early years of the city. It wouldn’t have been guns or swords for the dog and cat. It would have been teeth and claws. Thank goodness that little terrier couldn’t get loose.














We didn’t get around to all of the Squares, but I had a good time getting some photos of these children playing in the fountain. They were having a ball.
The flower cart at the City Market was just too pretty not to share. We’ll see what tomorrow brings. I’ve been told there could be some early fireworks tomorrow night. I’ve not tried photographing fireworks before. We’ll see if I can pull it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop