Thursday, December 16, 2010

Special Gifts


Like everyone else, I’m doing a little Christmas shopping. This year has been more fun than usual. Some of my unique finds have proved to be items made by artisans. I have a sweet friend who has opened a glass studio in our little town. Missy is not originally from Dyersburg but moved here as a newlywed. She is a farmer’s wife and mother of 2 fine sons. She was a stay-at-home mom, and for those of you who don’t know about it - being a stay-at-home mom and farmer’s wife is a full-time job. After she got her boys raised, she got involved in an interesting hobby, and it turns out that she has a lot of talent in her chosen field. Missy’s skill as a glass artist has progressed rapidly. The earrings pictured are only one example of her work, and they make wonderful gifts. I hope she’ll either start a website, blog, or Etsy shop before long. MH loves glass so she is working on something special for him. He is hard to buy for, and even harder to surprise.

Another artisan whose work has been of great interest to me is Beth Stone. Although I have never met Beth, I grew up with her mother. Beth is an accomplished artist in a variety of mediums. I have had my eye on some of her paintings, but when I visited her blog today and then followed it to her Etsy shop, I saw some jewelry I LOVE. The pricing is very reasonable and it pleases me to be able to give gifts like these. And it pleases me to own pieces like this also. I’ll be ordering right away and hope for delivery in time for Christmas. To see some of Beth’s work, visit:
http://bethstonestudio.blogspot.com

Although Christmas is not quite here, I’ve already received a beautiful gift. My very closest friend gave me a Christmas gift that she bought for me last June. As I’ve shared with you before, my friend, Kaye, is a book buyer. When she was buying for the bookstore last spring, she spotted a book she knew I’d love. She presented me with the book this week and I’ve poured over it ever since. If you’ve visited my blog - even irregularly, it will come as no surprise to you that I am positively enamored with this book because I am so passionate about the value of libraries.

Sure would like to visit all of these libraries, but owning the book allows me a privilege I would not otherwise have. Thank you so much, Kaye. I love my book.

1 comment:

Beth Stone said...

Thank you so much for the little review of my blog and work and the link! You have a lovely blog yourself, and I look forward to getting to know you through it! It's neat to connect with someone from my Mom's hometown.... Thanks again, and have a merry Christmas!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop