Saturday, September 25, 2010

Oliver and S goes to Nashville

When you think about the art of sewing for children, no place comes to mind quicker than The Children’s Corner in Nashville, TN. Susan and Sonya have an adorable shop and their inventory and samples never disappoint. Add to that the warmth and good humor always found there, and it amounts to a winning combination - a place you just like to visit.




This is just one corner of the shop that features a lovely display of samples flanked by neat bolts of high quality cotton fabrics.







I jokingly say that I don’t get out of my cell much, but I did escape for a couple of days this past week to attend a very special workshop at The Children’s Corner. Liesl Gibson, designer of Oliver and S patterns, was the guest instructor and she taught 2 of her newest patterns, The School Photo Dress and the Hopscotch Skirt, Knit Top, and Dress. It was a delightful experience from start to finish. Liesl is a skilled and talented designer, as well as an excellent and patient instructor. And I must add that she was lovely, unassuming, and a true joy to spend a couple of days studying with. With an extremely busy schedule and a young child, Liesl doesn’t travel to teach very often; so it was a rare opportunity that I’m so glad I took advantage of. If you get the chance to take a class from her, don’t pass it up. And if that chance doesn’t come your way, she has a great line of children’s patterns that are available in many shops, including www.childrenscornerstore.com and her own secure on-line store, www.oliverands.com

Liesl is standing in front of a wall of samples. This photo was taken at the end of the 2nd day of class. Liesl looks as calm and patient as she did at 9am on day 1 of the workshop. I hope Liesl enjoyed her time in Nashville as much as we enjoyed her workshop. Everyone that attended was a happy camper. And the samples on the wall?.... most of them were brought by students in the class who have been making garments from Oliver and S patterns since they arrived on the market.

It won’t be too long before I post photos of the workshop garments. I am the notorious “snail” in every class I take, but I don’t let that worry me because I enjoy every second I spend working on a project. I’m not too far from finishing both of the projects and I am really happy with the way they are turning out. I look forward to showing you my version of some of the latest Oliver and S designs on one of my youngest granddaughters, cute little Halle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop