Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Cards and Signs

Cards have been on my mind this week. A couple of weeks ago I attended Fay Hendren’s funeral. I don’t guess I ever heard an unkind word about Fay, and those of us who knew her will miss her terribly. Fay sent cards. It was a very special ministry for her. If you needed encouragement or if she thought she ought to thank you for something, you got a card from Fay. All told, there is no telling how much money Fay spent on cards and postage during her long ministry of sending cards. A couple of ladies in our church received cards from Fay, in Fay’s handwriting no less, on the day we attended her visitation. Those cards always meant a lot to folks.
It seems like I never have the right card, or a card at all, when I get struck with the notion to send a card. With that in mind, I decided to find out about getting some cards made from my own photography. I upload photos to Flickr and that site links you right over to Snapfish, where you can order cards. They are quite inexpensive, so I ordered plenty. I’ve used some of the better photos I’ve posted on this blog for the bulk of the cards, but I did have a special card made from a photo I’ve never posted before. The photo below is an antique pincushion and spool holder that some friends gave me for my birthday several years ago. I used what my Mac iPhoto program calls an “antique” finish rather than using the color version of the photo. I think this one is just “me”, and I hope it turns out well. If it doesn’t turn out well, it may well go in the trash.

Now, on to signs...... which have been on everybody’s mind locally if they can see!
Tomorrow is election day here in Dyersburg. We have state primaries and local elections both. We’ll definitely have a new sheriff in Dyer County. There are some good men running, but I’ll miss Jeff Holt. He has had a flawless career in my opinion, but he’s moving up to a US Marshall position. I’m happy for Jeff and I’m relieved that all 3 of the men running for his position are well qualified and, regardless of the winner, our county will continue to enjoy good protection.
It is stunning to me that less than 100 years ago, women still did not have the right to vote. HBO produced a special movie called Iron Jawed Angels starring Hillary Swank a couple of years ago that tells a remarkable story about the women’s suffrage movement. I attended Tennessee public schools from grade 1 through college, but I don’t remember ever being taught a thing about women’s suffrage. And Tennessee played a pivotal role in the women’s suffrage movement. As a matter of fact, it all came down to Tennessee. Tennessee passed the law by a margin of one vote. A young legislator named Harry Burn had previously voted against women’s suffrage, but the day of the final vote he got a letter from his mother urging him to vote in favor of the amendment. He had the letter in his pocket when he cast his vote. So the 19th amendment was ratified as a result of one mother’s influence on her son in the state of Tennessee. There are many articles on the internet about the women’s suffrage movement. For a more detailed account of the movement in Tennessee, you can visit the following website:
http://www.tennesseehistory.com/class/LizzieCroz.htm
Oh, I guess I still didn’t even mention signs. Well, there are political signs everywhere. They absolutely litter the landscape and I hate looking at them. I hope the candidates get them cleaned up by Friday and give us a bit of a break before the November election. Those signs don’t do a thing toward helping me make up my mind. The candidates could save themselves a lot of money on signs for my part.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see the pictures of your trip! The ones of the sun shining through are beautiful

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop